Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Home Made Fish Sticks

When I first moved to Scotland I watched Rosemary Shrager's School for Cooks regularly. The food was pretty traditional: racks of lamb, pork medallions and sole goujons. I wasn't entirely sure what a goujon was until I bought some at Waitrose and discovered that they are fancy fish sticks. But really good fish sticks, for grown ups, made with proper parts of fish in a light crust.

Calum loves fish sticks and Sainsbury's wasn't able to send me any in the last order. I had some raw fish I needed to use so I thought I'd give it a shot. They weren't difficult to make and I had all the ingredients in my pantry. The results were yummy - Calum ate them up in a flash and we enjoyed them too with a light cracker crumb crust. They can be made with chicken too and served with a variety of dipping sauces: a classic tarter sauce or something spicy would work. I made a yogurt dip with lemon and parsley.

Goujons
Goujons
  • White fish (not sure what kind - I use whatever the people at Eddie's give me)
  • Egg
  • Cracker Crumbs (this time I used Jacob's Cracked Pepper Bakes)
  • Corn Flour

Beat the egg, put to one side. Mix the cracker crumbs with some corn flour. I wasn't using any measures for this.

You'll want to heat oil in a frying pan enough to coat the bottom and give the fish a nice brown colour. Cut the fish into strips (they don't have to be perfectly shaped but you want to be able to handle them easily). So, I set up a little assembly line: dip fish in egg, coat it with the crumbs and place it in the hot oil. I fried it until both sides were a lovely golden brown. Any leftover can be used in a very tasty sandwich.

No comments: