Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Cakes of Distinction, an occasional series part I

Here's a recipe for a lovely flour-less chocolate cake. Now, on Miss Nupur's blog I posted self-saucing chocolate cake as the food the I think of with the word saucy. Joanne has made it for me twice - it's a family recipe - and it's fantastic. Alas, I don't have the recipe, so... I present Laureline's Gooey Cake

Now, there's a story here. Laureline is a physicist friend Michael met while at RMC. She's so cool: one of those women who is competent, awesome and y'know French, but really nice. Her family own a patiserrie in France, and she taught me how to make this cake. Calling it Gooey Cake doesn't do it justice -unless you imagine Juliette Binoche, gazing deeply into the eyes of Johnny Depp and, while healing him with the magical powers of handmade chocolate, saying the word “gooey”. It's rich and unlike anything I had ever had. This is powerful stuff: Four simple ingredients that create something quite lovely.

1/3 Cup sugar
250 g good dark chocolate
1/3 Cup butter
6 eggs

preheat oven to 350F
melt butter & chocolate over double boiler
separate eggs- whisk whites until stiff.
Cream yolks and sugar
add the melted chocolate to the yolk mixture, fold in the whites
put 2/3 of the mix into a buttered springform pan (I cheat with this all the time & use a regular cake tin)
now-- put this into the oven in a water bath and bake for 40 minutes
the other 1/3 should be refrigerated until the baking is done-- use it as frosting.

I am not ashamed to say I have used this cake on two occasions to impress men. And it worked.

No comments: