Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Belle's a genius!

Belle Update...

I've been remiss and haven't kept anyone up to date on the most important aspect of this blog: news on Belle. Here's a recent picture of the little one under my desk (her new favorite place to sleep). She doesn't photograph well.

Belle's been doing ok. She isn't in love with the new neighborhood. The dog park is of little interest to her and she hasn't made any dog friends. She misses Einstein. Now, Einstein is Janine's dog and Belle fell in love with him over the summer while we were living in Vanier/ New Edinbrough. She's only seen him once since we've moved to Sandy Hill and she misses him quite a bit. Of course all of this makes me feel like a bad owner.

She hasn't been enthralled by many dogs over the past couple of months. Younger, rambunctious dogs really bore/ annoy her. The other day at the park a bunch of dogs were playing rather rauctiously and she turned around and started walking home. She wouldn't stop long enough for me to put her leash on, she just wanted out of there. It's a part of getting older, I guess and Miss BlueBelle will be 7 years old in December. I know! She's so young looking!

And she's a genius. I did a dog IQ test on her. The test is to put a cookie on the floor and cover it with a dish towel, the length of time it takes for the dog to uncover the cookie? is inversly proportional to their intelligence (the shorter the amount of time? the faster they are). I put the cookie on the floor and off we went. She was eating her breakfast when i put it on the floor. she looked at it, tried to get it, realized it wouldn't be easy and went back to eating her food. After she had finished her food? it took her less than 10 seconds to get the cookie out from under the dish towel. Sure this is only one test. But I think this bodes well for her overall intelligence. Although she did just start barking at Michael, so maybe not...

If all the year were playing holidays, To sport would be as tedious as work.--William Shakespeare

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing a picture of BlueBelle. I miss her so much - I love how snobbish she is to the "other" dogs - she always has had good taste. TINA